Sunday, August 24, 2008

Lesson 2: How to Conduct a Discrete Trial

The war on Steven's autism began in earnest in a small downstairs bedroom.  On this first day that I would work with Steven alone, I felt a twinge of anxiety run through me.  Would I be able to wrestle the target behaviors from the small boy who sat with his back to me, rocking his body to a rhythm only he could discern?  As I reviewed the program binder, which listed 25 teaching protocols individualized to Steven's needs, I felt daunted.  We were starting at a level I had not even recognized existed.  

Examples from Steven's Program List:

1. 2-D Identical Matching
2.  1-Step Gross Motor Imitation
3.  1-Step Non-Verbal Imitation with Objects 
4.  Come Here 

Following the discrete trial protocol we had been trained in, I prompted Steven to the table and ran through each program, taking care to log my data in the program binder so that the next therapist on the schedule would know where I had left off.  I also took detailed notes on Steven's general demeanor, degree of attention, and self-stimulatory behavior.  

Example of Discrete Trial Protocol:

1.  Give clear, concise instruction
2.  Allow 2-3 seconds for child's response (correct, incorrect, non-response). 
3.  Provide feedback as described below:  
a.  If correct, provide praise paired with primary reinforcement (e.g., Skittle)
b.  If incorrect, provide informational "no" and follow with prompted trial
c.  If non-response, follow procedure for incorrect trial.  

The discrete trial protocol originates from behavioral learning theory which proposes that all behaviors are learned, observable, and are the result of interactions that occur in the environment.  From this theory, behavior change is evidence of learning.  Learning theorists often refer to the A-B-C model (Antecedent, Behavior, Consequence) to describe how learning occurs.  Internalizing this framework for how to interpret behavior became the basis for my ability to facilitate learning in both public and private settings.  Parents, educators, even wives (!) can learn to use this method by reviewing the example above.  

The discrete trial technique became the underlying strategy that we would utilize.  It allowed us to infiltrate Steven's autism and reach him beyond layers of camouflage and barriers.  Each time we created the association between Steven's behavior and reinforcement, we were defeating his autism, one battle at a time.  As Steven's skill set increased, something amazing began to happen...he began to engage the enemy himself.  







2 comments:

  1. This writing amazes me. You leave a "hook" at the end that makes the reader eager for the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the positive feedback anonymous! Readers, feel free to leave comments or email me if you have specific questions.

    ReplyDelete